Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Do we have enough money to last?

Tuesday has brings my usual trip to Senior Fitness. I mowed my lawn yesterday and for some reason it was a particularly bumpy ride. That caused my back to be very sore yesterday. Coupled with the incoming weather, that soreness continues today and I’m having a difficult time walking. I guess that just about says all there is to say about the fitness session. However, the important part of it is, I fought through the discomfort this morning and reluctantly completed my routine.

We haven’t seen an awful lot, Anything?, in the main stream media about this, but the weekend news on the internet began to develop an impending crisis in America. President Obama reportedly told C-SPAN interviewer Steve Scully that the United States was out of money.

As reported on the Drudge Report, the President said, “Well, we are out of money now. We are operating in deep deficits, not caused by any decisions we've made on health care so far. This is a consequence of the crisis that we've seen and in fact our failure to make some good decisions on health care over the last several decades.”

It’s those “good decisions on health care” that worry me. The President wants to nationalize all health care similar to other countries, which have found it to be terribly expensive and inefficient. We hear regularly about the wait in Canada, for example, for people to get to see doctors, hospitals, or have surgeries. It has gotten so bad in Canada, the Canadians are now allowed to purchase their own medical insurance plans. A friend of mine tells me one can’t imagine how much taxes are paid just for the “free” services.

Did you read recently that an appeals judge, if Florida I think, has ruled that the state and not the doctor has the final say in your procedures? The ruling, which will in all probability be appealed to an even higher court, would give the government the final say in who gets treatment and who does not. Pity our senior citizens. Holy smokes! I’m one of those.

The brief said that doctors shouldn’t have final say as they would advocate for their patients. No, it should be the government which will advocate for what? Not spending money?

National health care will add even more trillions of dollars to our already national debt of more than 11-trillion dollars. The country has spent more money since Jan. 20th than what was budgeted by every other American president, including Presidents Bush, since the beginning of this nation.

Another report I read over the weekend said that the United States is on the verge on losing its highest credit rating because of our debt and spending. If it does, we will be even further in trouble paying it all back because of the higher interest rates.

Of course since it runs the printing presses, the government isn’t out of money yet. The problem is that as more and more is simply printed without being secured, the lower and lower the value of the dollar falls. We’ll soon be seeing higher and higher prices to make up for the losses.

My guess is most of this won’t terribly affect those of us in my generation or even older as we’ll probably be gone before the full impact hits. But I really worry about my children and grandchildren and those of others. They understand not what’s in store for them.

GiM

No comments: