Monday, January 23, 2012

No rant today!

I'd bet you probably are expecting a rant about Newt Gingrich winning in South Carolina.  Well, Surprise!  You won't, at least from me.  It's not that I particularly don't give a sweet pea about Gingrich, it's simply because I've become discouraged about any candidate of either party.  Oh, I'll vote in November; I know not for whom yet, but it will be the nominee with the "R" after his name.

We are rapidly falling into an abyss of the worst Presidential election in my lifetime.  As I follow the campaigns of the candidates for that "R" nomination, I'm not seeing anyone that gives me what I was promised three years ago:  Hope for the future.

These early stages of the race for the nomination have seen the spending of millions of dollars finding the faults of the candidates and it seems like precious little spending on what they could do for America if elected.  And the President can just sit back a wait until he sees who is opponent will be before he even starts, although many might say he already has. 

I simply dislike negative campaigns.  We always end up with the people less likely to perform for the good of the people  and not for their own good.  Seems to me we have a perfect example of that right here in Maine.  And I'm not suggesting it's our governor.  Of course, not everyone shares what I want for America and that's not necessarily bad.  The truth is always somewhere in the middle but we need elected officials that can reach that point through working from each side towards it, not from starting there and then moving to one side or the other.

We still have a very long way to go before both the nominations and elections occur and it's shaping up to be a rather bumpy ride.  Possibly the only winner will be President Carter who simply must be smiling widely as he digs his peanuts.  His position in the order of Great Presidents is in serious jeapardy of changing.

Now, as a side note:  I listened to Gingrich as well as N.J. Gov. Christie for Romney on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday.  Gov. Christie did little or nothing to advance Romney while Gingrich seemed to be offering ideas more closely in line with my thinking.  Hmmmmm.  Perhaps.

And finally, I liked a comment I heard somewhere over the weekend by someone I honestly don't remember because the comment didn't sink in until I was no longer thinking about it.  One of the "experts" said that Gingrich won in South Carolina because the people there were typical of people throughout the nation who are simply tired of being manipulated by the news media.  They don't like being told to vote for one candidate over another because their unofficial and manipulative polls say only one can win so we should vote for him.

And now it's on to Florida.  Floridians are in for a very nasty time.

How's that for a non-rant?

Gator

No comments: