Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold? That's an understatement.

The weather people hit this one; and it's one I wished they missed.  We awoke this Monday morning to a 12 degree below zero reading at my house.  It is warming up, though.  Now, an hour later after I got up, the temperature has climbed to 11.5 below.

We've been told today would be cold and nothing has changed on that front.   Kevin Mannix, the weather guy on WCSH6 said this morning our high today will be about 7.  That's seven degrees for a daytime high.  That's darn cold!  And it's even more brutal for an old guy living on Coumadin, a blood thinner.

If the air temperature weren't bad enough, the wind chill right now is minus 30 degrees.  And the Greater Portland area isn't the coldest in the state.

By the way, for anyone interested, the average daytime high for this time of year is +30 degrees.

Is that the end of the weather news?  Of course not.  There's snow forecast for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  Tuesday won't affect me but Gator Wife has a dentist appointment.  Wednesday is my scheduled last Wednesday of the month lunch with a bunch of my fellow retired folk.  And Thursday I'm scheduled for my regular cardiologist visit. 

This has the makings of being a rather unpleasant week in Southern Maine.

Off the weather, have you noticed the new news set design on Channel 6?  I've been watching that station for more years than I'd care to admit to.  This new design is simply ugly.  It's too crowded, too dark, and the background is awful.  They welcome Twitter and Facebook comments, but I do neither.   And when are they going to get HD studio cameras?

GiM

No comments: