Monday, August 27, 2012

Republican convention keeps eye on Isaac

The last week in August and thus the last week of our summer tourist season is underway.  Our summer season draws to a close next Monday, Labor Day.  That, of course, doesn't mean no more tourists; it just means a different focus, like the autumn bouquet, invites a slightly different tourist.

The Republican National Convention begins today, although the beginning has been shortened to make way for Hurricane Isaac.  The latest trajectory for Isaac has it avoiding Tampa, the site of the convention, although the area will probably get some strong winds and rains.

A slight turn has placed New Orleans directly in the sights of the Eye of the Storm.  It could hit exactly seven years from the destruction of Katrina.  Let's hope it makes another direction change to find a place with the potential for a lot less destruction.

I wrote my thoughts over the weekend about the RNC's change of our delegation to the convention so I'll leave that alone.  In fact, right now I'm not excited about anything as this week begins.  About all I have on my agenda is a regularly scheduled event so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if events develop that get my attention out of Tampa.

Until then, enjoy your week's beginning.

Dave