Friday, February 15, 2008

Just a "funky" day!

This is a strange afternoon. I sat down to write today’s post and I can’t think of anything I need to say. That doesn’t mean I don’t have anything to write about, I just don’t want to work at this tonight. So, right now might be a good time to stop reading.

There are lots of topics roaming around in my head. I have one post almost written about the futility of Maine’s economic condition. There very simply is only one way to resolve being the highest tax state in the union, having the highest insurance premiums, having more of its population on welfare, an obscene cost of medical treatment, a state budget very much out of control, and a whole host of other ways this state is in financial difficulty. One solution is easy, elect new leaders in November. But we’ve been in this condition for years and we the people continue to send the same people back to Augusta.

That’s the heart of a post I’m preparing, but it probably won’t be until next week when you get to see the expanded version.

I think my funk may have to do with my taxes. I got my completed return back from my accountant today. It was not a pretty sight. I can’t believe how many taxes weren’t taken out of various sources last year. I’m retired so the main source of my income is my retirement income. I’m one of those people who planned my retirement future many years ago. At least the income part. What I failed to plan was how to get adequately have taxes withheld. I’m having a meeting with my accountant in the near future.

Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely don’t want to plan for a refund. All that is is an interest free loan to the governments. But I don’t want to ever again have to write a check like the one going out April 15th.

Or my funk could be the result of two failed shopping adventures today. I went to a nearby home improvement center for two very simple items. One was a cleaner to get the soot and grime off the glass doors in my fireplace. For those of you who don’t have glass fireplace doors, normal cleaners simply don’t work. But at a now defunct Home Quarters several years ago I got some great stuff. A couple of squirts and a quick wipe resulted in sparkling clean doors. But the two home centers now in my area tell me that, yes, they have cleaner for about a month at the beginning of the season every year. But because it’s a seasonal item, once it’s gone, it’s gone. Both suggest I shop early next season. Meanwhile, you can’t see through my doors. (I’ve also tried local hardware stores, but what I found was inadequate. I will give the Lowe’s store manager, at least that’s what Dave’s badge said, some credit. He suggested I try a woodstove store.

My wife works at her part-time job in Fridays, so while at the home improvement centers I decided to do her a favor and get curtains and a shade. She wanted insulated ones which weren’t readily available. At one of the stores, I think I outnumbered the “associates” as I couldn’t find one to help me, so I left. I don’t know if Dave was considered to be an associate or not. I know I was the most customers in the store. That’s a project that’ll now wait until she wants to go again.

My other failure was finding a Bluetooth capable mouse. I know they exist, but not today at a big office supply store nor at an even bigger electronics store.

In all fairness I was returning home from picking up my tax forms and I suppose I just wasn’t in a shopping mood.

So you see, I’m just sitting here and I can’t think of a thing to write about.

G.D.