Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Some of us were spared by Sandy

I'd say we've gone through a couple of interesting days.  Hurricane Sandy paid the Eastern U.S. a visit and left behind a huge path of destruction.  I feel badly for the people, especially in New Jersey and New York, whose lives have changed.

Maine missed the brunt of Sandy but many trees were knocked down.  A few of them smashed into homes and other buildings.  Power was lost in about fifty thousand places and power company officials estimate it could be Friday before all the power is fully restored.

The Gator Homestead was among the lucky places that did get some high winds and heavy rain, but real damage avoided us.  I lost a couple limbs and had to drag them to a pile to be chipped later with my tractor, but that was extremely minor compared to other places.

We're told by the weather folk that showers could still come ashore Wednesday and perhaps Thursday, but for us life seems to have returned to normal.  The good people south of us can't say that as it could be weeks or longer before normalcy gets to New York and New Jersey and the rest of the Eastern Seaboard.

Of all the comments I heard from the folks interviewed on TV news programs who live in the disaster area, I never heard once, "Oh, woe is me!  Why hasn't the federal government come in to take care of us?"  We did hear that in the aftermath of another hurricane a few years ago.

Now the election is just a few days away.  I have been thinking about it for the last few days and will have my final election comments over the weekend.

Dave

No comments: