Saturday, December 29, 2007

Scared

I'm spending this weekend in a "scared" mode. I'll explain in a moment.


I love college football and have watched two games today. I must admit the only one I cared about was UCF vs. Mississippi State. Being a Gator I love it when a SEC team wins a bowl game. I'm happy tonight. Well, sort of.

I'm also a very scared Gator. Not because Florida meets Michigan Tuesday...that's a no-brainer...but because I have to face a medical test Monday. You see, I have a heart disease. My heart is pumping at just over 50% efficiency. I've known about this for six years, ever since a major medical event in 2001. But after this year's regular exam by my cardiologist, I was asked to have a medicinal stress test to see if I could be helped by another operation or medication. That test is scheduled for Monday.

I've had stress tests before, like all heart patients, but this will be my first one using a nuclear medication. I don't know what to expect and I don't know what is going to happen. So this weekend I'm spending in a scared mode. Tomorrow (Sunday) I'll have some breakfast, then it becomes complicated as to what I can eat. A mandatory fasting period which begins later in the day, will determine my intake. Monday morning will see my large bod getting zero nourishment.

You may have read earlier this month about the nationwide problem in getting the nuclear material for medical tests due to a shutdown of a Canadian plant that makes most of the material. Two of my previous appointments for this test have been postponed. But now the day is approaching, and I'm frankly scared.

But now on a more positive note, I'm watching the Patriots play the Giants. And New England is facing a "come back" if they want to complete an undefeated season. Might be an interesting night.

G.D.

No comments: