Sunday, July 8, 2012

Those computer calls do more harm than good!

Except for a very humid Saturday, the just passed weekend was a pretty nice one.  I might go so far as to say it was the kind of weekend Mainers have come to exspect in July.  Did we accomplish anything special?  Of course not!

Last time I visited you I mentioned I was planning to spend some time seeing if our planned vacation to Pennsylvania was still a "go" or not.  I didn't have to do a thing.  Both the theater and motel where we have reservations sent me an e-mail reminding me I had reservations and hoped I was still going to visit them.  They also included cancellation and refund information, neither of which we'll be using.  So, we're all set for our trip later this month.

I am already so tired of robo-calls that I'm now simply rude when I get one.  I just hang up on them.  I'm assuming they're promoting the non- presidential candidates, but I suppose some could be issue orientated.  The majority never even get to speak to me as I do have a personal rule.  When I answer the phone, especially calls with no caller I.D. or with numbers obviously spam, such as "800 service" numbers, I just pick up and hang up. 

Sometimes those prerecorded computer generated calls don't begin for several seconds.  If I haven't already hanged up, I silently wait three seconds secretly hoping I can be rude to someone, then hang up.

I became especially irritated the other day.  The phone rang, and although I didn't recognize the number, at least a normal appearing one showed up on the I.D.  I answered.  The return was a very loud "Boing!" followed by a shouting voice.  I wear a hearing aid that "Boing" was amplified to an even more irritating level than already it was.  The screaming voice did start to identify itself explaining I was among the chosen to comment on a new campaign ad.  The beginning of that call was one of the most obnoxious I've ever received.  I can't comment on the rest as I didn't hear it, but in retrospect, I wish I had so I'd know who or what not to support.

As far as I'm concerned, campaigns shouldn't start until Labor Day.  But they already have and I'm already tired of them.  And we don't even have a presidential nominee for either party yet.  November will be easy.  "No" on all issue questions.  "No" on all bond questions.  Write in someone for the Presidency.  After all, my write in vote will bring the same result as voting for either of the probable nominees.

Not to worry.  I won't dwell on the stuff all they way to November, but the process itself is enough to drive me to occasional venting.  Like that damned call did the other day!

Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.