Friday, February 13, 2009

A small, understandable setback

Here’s a brief report on my doctor’s visit yesterday. It was a visit I hoped I’d be released from most, if not all my post-surgery restrictions. I was, except for one. I will be returning to my senior fitness program the first week in March, but I’m still restricted on the use of my left arm. I can neither lift with it nor raise it up over my head. And the doctor wants the restriction to remain until mid-March at least and until the end of March if I can.

I feel great, the surgical spot is healing great, and the arm is back to normal except for one small thing: lifting heavy things and using it over my head would keep the wires inside my chest that connect my new ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Device) to my heart need the time to acclimate themselves and become stable. Movement could cause them to detach from the heart and that wouldn’t be good.

Throughout these months of discussion and through the surgery itself, if the wire situation was explained to me, it didn’t register. It does, however, make sense and I certainly don’t want to disconnect the wires. So, all my restrictions have been removed except that one, but it’s worth following the doctor’s orders for my own good.

There are things at the fitness place I’ll be able to do without using that arm. I’m looking forward to giving some of those things a chance to help me when I return there in a couple of weeks.

New Hampshire Republican Senator Judd Gregg has withdrawn his nomination as Commerce Secretary in the Obama administration. He cited severe differences in some policy matters, including the spending package and the Obama desire to move the 2010 census from the Commerce Department to the White House among the reasons.

The story I read about his withdrawal last night in the Los Angeles Times tried to make it appear as if he was pushed out by the administration. I think there’s a better possibility he became a Republican again and realized he didn’t want to be part of the ship potentially destroying America.

The recent polls have shown that the majority of American seems to agree with me that the spending package is not good for our country. It cannot stimulate the economy because only a real small percentage of the package is for the kind of programs that create jobs.

I hope you folks were watching last night’s news (I saw it on NBC) when the spending breakdown was shown. The vast majority of the money will go to welfare programs and I don’t believe welfare programs have ever created jobs, except for the agencies running them. I’d like everyone to ask their representatives in Congress what is going to pay for all those programs when this spending package runs out of money.

At least with the creation of programs that lead to the creation of jobs, the money workers earn will go into the economy thus strengthening it. As the economy grows again, more companies will need to hire more workers at the companies’ expense to produce the goods. That, in turn, grows the economy even more and the cycle continues.

I wonder how many of you have noticed another not often mentioned provision of the spending package. It calls for the creation of a health czar to oversee the medical profession. That health department will determine what treatment people should get and take any decisions away from you and your doctor. My guess is that it will create long waiting lists of good Americans waiting for permission for treatment. We read regularly about the horror stories in other countries about these waiting lines and the many deaths before treatment can take place.

Imagine a Tom Daschle type person deciding if you’ll live or die. I find that very scary. Senator Specter says that will never happen and Congress will make necessary changes. But once that bill is signed into law, it’ll be way too late. Getting that one out of the package should take place before the law is enacted.

The spending package…yes, I know, the President and Congress calls it a stimulus package but it will stimulate nothing…is very, very bad for America. And I’d bet we haven’t said or heard the last word yet.

GiM

No comments: