Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'll refrain from commenting on spending package for now

The final big government spending package hasn’t been completely finalized yet or at least early this morning, so I’m generally refraining from giving my thoughts on it. They aren’t good. Only about 15% of the Senate version of the bill will do anything for our economy. That’s about all that’s devoted to actual jobs creation by improving the country’s infrastructure.

The rest is primarily destined for social, or as we better know it, welfare situations. And a huge amount of it will be going out of the country. They may pour more money into the programs, but they don’t create jobs, thus they don’t make a dent on the economy.

There are a lot of good folk out there who have bought into the President Obama message and simply accept what he says as gospel. Before you start criticizing this message deliverer, though, please take the time to review the contents of the spending package. Just like our Congress people, however, none of us would be able to take the time to read the whole thing. Try just some of the subtitles.

I for one would be hard pressed to debate the validity of providing condoms to poor people overseas, for example, as being an economy builder.

Now the bill does contain some very high ideals for improvement. Who can argue against aid for education? I can’t. But I can in this package simply because there are already ways for Congress to give such aid. Being part of this package won’t stimulate the economy. And that’s just one prominent example of the speciousness of the Senate approved President Obama spending package.

We certainly knew Senator Olympia Snowe would be one of the three Republicans who would support the package. After all, it appears that she has her eye on becoming a part of the Obama administration. The acceptance by our other senator, Susan Collins, though, is a mild surprise but it does solidify our contention she’s no longer a Republican but rather a self-proclaimed Independent.

Three hundred thirty words on a topic I am refraining to discuss at this time. Not bad. I probably will return to this topic after it’s finalized by both houses and signed by the President.

Here’s another one. I call it corporate murder. Another plant of the Peanut Corporation of America that is thought to have triggered salmonella poisoning throughout the country has been shuttered. The Texas plant has been found to have salmonella tainted peanut products just like the plant in Georgia earlier.

So far, a little fewer than 2000 suspected cases of salmonella poisoning throughout America have been reported and about 8 deaths are suspected to have resulted from that poisoning. All have been traced to peanut products produced by the company.

What’s worse is the report that the products were shipped after the company learned of the suspected salmonella. If indeed this report is proven to be true, then I believe the corporate leaders should be prosecuted for murder and attempted murder. There should be prison time for those leaders. Furthermore, the company should have to pay any expenses incurred by the victims, including a payment for the families for the deceased.

Of course the peanut products have been recalled, but they never should have been distributed in the first place. This was corporate greed at its worst.

Perhaps the Chinese had the idea. They gave the death penalty to corporate managers responsible for tainted milk outbreak there earlier this year.

No one in the peanut case has been found guilty of, or even charged with, anything; but if those charges come and are proven in a court, the people responsible should be shown no mercy.

I visited the new home of my senior fitness center yesterday. I’ve never seen so much unbelievable exercise and therapy equipment in one place before. I must admit I’ve never visited a commercial gym type place so I can’t compare, but I have rehabilitated at four different physical therapy establishments.

Three of the four have been specifically for P.T. for various physical ailments and the other was a heart rehabilitation center. The new Saco Bay center, where my senior session is held, is the second for that branch of the company as they moved earlier this month. Comparing the old with the new might be like a mid-19th century facility with a mid-21st century one. Yes, I know, we haven’t even reached the mid 21st yet. Saco Bay has several other locations in the area.

I had been sent to Saco Bay by a spine center to work on the beginning of spinal stenosis. Unfortunately, Medicare only authorizes a small number of visits for physical therapy. In some circumstances, the number can be increased upon an appeal. My visits ran out, but Larry, the boss, told me about a program he had for his patients who have run out of insurance but need, or could use additional work.

He calls it the Senior Fitness Program. It is not an open gym type activity. All of us are simply continuing the exercises we had learned while undergoing the therapy and it’s by invitation. This new facility, which was opened in conjunction with a local corporate entity for its employees, also provides benefits to those employees as there are physical therapists and athletic trainers on hand for the employee fitness program as well. Of course, it also serves as a Saco Bay physical therapy center.

My group made my visit there yesterday extremely welcoming. I’m hoping they were genuinely happy to see me following my surgery, but I suppose being the great people they are, they could have been just being polite. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to get back after my chest heals and try some of these new “toys” in my approved routine.

GiM

No comments: