Friday, October 21, 2011

Trust

I don't have much to offer this weekend, so I'll just mention a few things I find interesting. 

First, the weather:  We heard on this Friday morning's weather forecast that this weekend will be mostly sunny but sort of blustery.  The temperatures will be in the sixties, according to the reports, in many areas, but this could be the beginning of the end for those sixties' readings.

Kevin Mannix, the morning weather guy for WCSH6-TV, told us that beginning next week, highs will be mostly in the fifties and some of the higher elevations, like in our mountains and northern Maine, might even see some snow flakes.  He also indicated that this trend wasn't unusual for this time of year, so it looks like we can start looking for some colder weather to begin.

I don't think his forecast means absolutely no more warm weather this season, however.  I can't help but think back to a November some 50 years ago.  Gator Wife and I got a message from Heaven that we were making a good choice of selecting each other.  The temperatures were well into the 60s and the sun was shining brightly as we joined each other for a lifetime.  And there have been other Novembers with great temperature readings, too.  Each one has brought our conversation to the memory of November, 1961.  Yes, we're still joined.

We're not alone, of course, to reach that milestone.  My Fearless Friend and his wife also hit the 50 mark this past summer, and several of our "End of the Month Lunch" retired group have also hit that milestone this year.  1961 was a good year for more than that warm, sunny November day for us.  There's a possibility I'll have more to say on this in November.

On the politcal scene, the first part of the breaking down of the Obama jobs bill has failed in the U.S. Senate.  Since the total stimulus plan failed a while back, the Democrats had pledged to break it into sections and get it passed piecemeal.  No surprise here, President Obama blamed the Republicans for the defeat Thursday.  They were unanimous against it.  The Democrats just can't to admit it's simply a bad bill.  Perhaps it's time for the two sides to get together for some honest discussion and compromise in finding help to solve the economy.  Key word there, "honest."  Naw!  That's not going to happen.  The blame game will continue.

Did you see the article in the Friday morning Portland Press Herald and on MaineToday.Com, the newspaper's web site, about a new device AAA is giving its car insurance buyers to monitor the driving habits of their children?  The device plugs into the family car and works like a GPS device to allow parents to track their car and its speed when the kids are driving it. 

I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but it is an interesting one.  I'd like to think that if I had teenage kids in their earliest driving years that I'd have enough trust and faith in them so the device wouldn't be needed.  I'd like to think that if I had done my job bringing them up, I wouldn't need this thing. 

But then again, I sort of remember my teenage years when I was first driving.  Back then we didn't have to go through all the steps today's teens must take.  All I had to do was go into the motor division office, prove I was 15 years old (yes, 15), take the "E" test and the color test, anwer a couple legal questions and prove I could read the words "pedestrian crossing" on a sign.  I walked out with my license.

I honestly believe my mom and dad did a great job raising me with all sorts of fabulous ideals and ethics.  I never wanted to displease them.  I've mentioned my dad's lesson about asking myself how I would like it if either of them walk in on me while doing anything.  If I wouldn't be embarrassed in my feelings, I probably had made a good decision.  However, I honestly don't recall asking myself that question when I was driving.

I don't want to give you the impression I was a bad driver.  No teenager would admit to that.  But, well, there just may have been a time or two when I forgot a speed limit or that drag racing was illegal, or clowning with friends in the car.  Maybe those things might have happened, but naturally I don't remember them.  I can say, though, without any reservation at all that I never drove after or while drinking.  I simply didn't drink alcohol until I was in college.

I would not have wanted to have one of those AAA (American Automobile Association) devices in my car.  The thought of my parents keeping track through that spying might have destroyed my hope my parents' had (possibly misplaced) trust in me. 

How would I feel today if I still had teenagers?  Hmmm.  I do know that every time one of them borrowed my car I wasn't calm until they got it back home.  I didn't worry as much about my daughter, but perhaps I'd want a device if my son were in the car.  Perhaps.  It would take a lot of thought.

You can read about the device in today's (Friday's) MaineToday.com and in the morning Portland Press Herald.

That brings us to wishing you an absolutely super weekend.

Gator

No comments: