Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer is closing in

I'm not sure if I was punished or rewarded by the rain gods yesterday.  I've been saying recently that April and May were miserable months because of all the precipitation we received.  Yesterday I complained that June seemed to be starting out the same way.

So those rain gods either punished me for all the miserable weather talk or rewarded me for being such a great guy.  I'd probably be hard put to find anyone to agree with that last assertion.  Nevertheless, the storms which ravaged a pretty goodly portion of our state yesterday passed my little chunk of land on either side and left it dry.

It was strange looking at the radar and watching the storms dance by with one line just a few miles north of Greater Portland and a second one just a few miles south.  Our seasonal vegetable gardens were planted over the last weekend and we had been counting on the forecasted storms to provide them with some nourishment.  Now today we have to go out and find a way to provide that water ourselves.

That way won't be hard to find.  We do have a sprinkler system in place.

I have this "thing" about when to change clothes styles for various times of the year.  You know, like when I switch from winter jacket to a spring one and then to no jacket at all for the summer.  Once a switch is made, the change remains in effect until the next event happens.  You'd be amazed at how many times I've gone out in the 60 degree spring weather with a winter coat on.  I'm convinced that my consistency in these changes is a good part of why I rarely get colds or the flu.  And when I do get the sniffles, they don't last very long.  It's been a very long time since such weather events have put me down.

I'm just a little late this year, but yesterday I switched for the first time to my short sleeve shirts.  I think it was a mistake.  We didn't get rain, the morning was very cool here and my blood thinning medication caused me to be rather cool.  By mid day, however, the muggies had arrived and I quickly got very warm.  So maybe it wasn't a mistake.  In any case I won't be returning to long sleeves until next fall.

Now I'll bet that's information you've just been "dying" to read.

Gator

No comments: