Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Planning a trip is at least half the fun.

I had a really fun day yesterday doing some research on a trip Gator Wife and I might take in the fall.  As a result I didn't pay any attention to what I could write here today. 

It seems like a long time ago now that I first mentioned Branson, Missouri, in a post here.  It was about a telemarketer call I received offering me one of those "deals you can't refuse."  I refused it.  I remember the call because after I said, "No," the caller said he could sell me the same vacation package for a couple hundred dollars less.

When I told him that I could never buy from him now because I'd always wonder just much better a deal I could have gotten if I simply held out longer.  No matter what he offered, I'd always wonder just how good it was.  "Huh?" was his response and he added, "I never thought of that."

A couple of days later I got a comment from, I think it was the chairman of the Branson Chamber of Commerce, an official in Branson who urged me to not to dismiss all the fun that the place offers.  At the time I did a very quick research and responded to the official that, indeed, it looked like a fun place and that I might consider it down the road.

Well, we're "down the road."  I'm not sure just what brought it up, except GW and I were talking about a more elaborate vacation than the one we've secured for June.  Branson came up.  Then, as coincidence would have it, I was racing around my Senior Fitness center gym on a stationary bike last week when I mentioned to my fellow senior on the bike beside me that I was thinking of going to Branson.

"Oh," said he.  "My wife and I were there a couple years ago and I'd go back in a hearbeat.  My only complaint was that we were there for only three days and needed a whole lot more time to do just some of the things we wanted to do."  He highly recommended Branson as a vacation place.

Now that got my vacation juices flowing and I did a little more checking into the Music City called Branson and after sharing what I learned with GW, we've decided to make the trip.

Half or more of a vacation is the planning and that's how I spent just about all day yesterday, and I've only begun.  The number of incredibly great sounding shows there, and they range all the way from country music to Chinese Dancers, to Irish Dancers to Broadway hits, to comedy, oh, shucks, I could write about the possibilities for another many paragraphs, almost boggles the mind.  Suffice it, I guess, just to say, "If you can imagine wanting it for entertainment, it's in Branson."

We've got a few shows picked out, probably too many for the four days we'll be spending there, but as our daughter said over the weekend, "If it turns out just half as good as you think it will, you'll have a lot more to look forward to in another year."

We've still got a ways to go to figure out final event wants and a place to stay while there, but that'll just give me some more fun planning fun. 

I wonder if I should try to find the name of that official who wrote and send him a note telling him we listened, and now we're acting.  He's a good representative of his city.

Meanwhile yesterday morning, I received an e-mail from my Fearless Friend.  He was disappointed I hadn't mentioned Gator Golden's return home Sunday from her weekend "sleepover" with her sister, GD's Golden.  This is what I told him:  There really wasn't anything to mention except when it was time for GD to go home, GG hid behind GW so she could stay here.

So, because I spent the day in total fun yesterday, I didn't come up with anything about which to write today.  I'll try to do better.

GiM

No comments: