Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Not much going on today

Yesterday turned out just exactly as I had hoped. We waited patiently for the sun to dry out the yard. During the wait, we went to a couple local farm markets looking for some fresh vegetables. Both said that the weather was causing them trouble just like everyone else and they didn’t have the fresh food they had wanted. One of them told us there was little hope for today, as well.

But the trip took some time. It was nearly noon when we got home so we had an early lunch. By 12:30 I was out riding the tractor and Wife Gator was picking up sticks. No, I’m not trying to be funny. During the storms of the last several days tiny twigs from trees and bushes had blown throughout the yard and she was picking them up. We pile those sticks to let them dry and they become the kindling for the winter fireplace.

The lawn was even longer than I had thought and I had to empty my two grass bags far more often than usual. But the grass was dry so the bagging attachment was able to handle the clippings with ease. A couple hours later, the lawn was mowed for the first time in what seems like an eternity. It sure does look nice when it’s properly groomed.

By the time we were eating our evening meal, the skies had once again become threatening and soon the threats transformed into noisy action. I think we did get a little shower activity as my driveway looked wet just before dark.

Today dawned just a little foggy, but by 6 o’clock the sun was controlling the skies. You may wonder why I can tell about “dawning weather” and what’s happening an hour later. Simple. WG has to get up to be at work at six AM on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. So we get up sometime between 4:30 and 5:00. Actually she gets up at 4:30 so she can take care of her normal morning routine and I get up at 5:00 to have a cup of coffee and spend a little time with her before she heads out.

Kevin, the TV weather guy we watch, says this afternoon will be a lot like yesterday with possible showers and thundershowers. Tomorrow looks like the worse of these two days, though; but the holiday weekend has some signs of being a good one.

I need to get caught up on some bookkeeping this morning. I’m naturally very lazy but the lousy weather of the past two or three weeks has made that laziness even worse. Although all the bills have been paid, the stubs and other stuff remain on my desk. I need to file the June remnants. Now if I really work at it, I probably can accomplish that task in five minutes. If I just take my time, I might be able to stretch it out to ten minutes.

We’re heading into a true Holiday Weekend. I use the word “true” here because our holiday Friday is one of the few left that is celebrated on its true date. Many, if not most, holidays have been changed to be celebrated on a certain Monday of a month to guarantee a three day holiday. But not the celebration of our Nation’s Birthday. We do have a three day weekend this year, though, because, thanks to the calendar, the Fourth of July falls on a Friday.

I won’t be heading out to any fireworks celebrations Friday; but if the skies are relatively clear, I’ll be able to see some from my yard and, of course, the noise will be present for a half hour or so.

Meanwhile, today is one to enjoy, at least until those “maybe” showers and/or thunder showers arrive later.

GiM

No comments: