Saturday, June 21, 2008

Officially summer; now summer temps needed

Ayah! Here we go with another weekend. And this weekend begins the real summer season, astrologically. Of course what we Mainers call summer began three weeks ago when we celebrated Memorial Day.

As anyone who may read this with any regularity would know, when there are kid, high school, or college sports on TV, I’m watching whatever it is. Friday night I got a pretty neat break; a lightning flash in Omaha, the site of the College World Series, caused an automatic delay of the game. So I switched over to the Red Sox. Well, golly gee! The Sox had been in a rain delay and was just getting ready to start. As I was wondering what was going on, the camera switched to center field and on raced the 2008 NBA basketball champion Boston Celtics.

The Celtics had just won the championship Thursday by blowing away the Los Angeles Lakers. I don’t watch professional basketball and so haven’t seen more than maybe 10 or 15 minutes of the Celtics this season. I watched none of the championship game. From what little I have watched the past several years, the referees don’t watch the games, either.

The celebration at Fenway, though, was fun to watch and, to give the planners credit, it wasn’t dragged out any longer than it should have been. Paul Pierce threw the first pitch in the direction of Sox catcher Jason Veritek. The pitch was a wee off as it almost made it to the Gardens. No one cared. The fans were treated to the World Champion Boston Celtics. The Red Sox then paid tribute to the Celts by wearing their Celtic Green jerseys through the game.

Now, if only the Patriots could have won just one more game last season. If they had, Boston would have had the baseball, football and basketball world champions all at the same time.

As I look out the window this Saturday morning, it looks like it’ll rain any minute. The weather girl on Ch. 6 says, however, this should be a day of a mixture of sun and clouds with no rain in sight…at least for the daylight hours. She may be absolutely correct; as I write this the daylight got turned on and just that suddenly the fog began to lift. So chalk one up for the Ch. 6 weather girl, I guess.

Of course, as I’ve been saying much this past week, even when scattered showers are in the forecast, my little spot has consistently been in that “not every city or town will see any” zone. So except for the early Saturday morning fog, we probably wouldn’t get any precipitation anyway.

My daughter is planning to come over for a variety of reasons. Mainly, I suspect, she likes to have her dog and ours socialize and have some fun together. Then she discussed giving my last week’s Father’s Day present…wash and wax my car. She’ll include her mother’s car and probably her own in the deal. If the weather looks like we’ll get rain or showers all next week, she might put off the cars and trim the bushes in the front yard.

She has become pretty darn proficient with those electric hedge trimmer type devices. Actually, she’s quite proficient at just about anything she wants to tackle. And, like my fearless friend with computers, she’s fearless about taking on projects. She must have inherited her abilities from her mom’s dad. It certainly wasn’t from me.

Another weekend in Maine is upon us. Summer is officially, astrologically here and all we need now is for nice summer temperatures to get here. They might be on the way. I hope you have a wonderful, fun-filled summer weekend, and I’ll see you again Monday.

GiM

No comments: